Monday, August 26, 2013

Days 11, 12 and 13 of the Whole30....Agatha, Melvina & Myrt's Adventure!

Days 11, 12,13.....The Big Adventure!

Computer issues and a weekend get-a-way took me away from my blog.

Cindy and I started planning about a month ago to take Nannie to the destination of her choice. .....Portsmouth, Va!  So we loaded up the van and off we went.  Instead of a Thelma & Louise adventure, it was Agatha, Melvina and Myrt adventure (that's another post!).

Back when I was first trying to decide when to start Whole30, I really wanted to wait until AFTER this weekend trip because I knew the restaurants we'd be dining in would not be Whole30 friendly.  But, I figured there will always be something, or some kind of event taking place so I might as well start before the trip so I'd already be in the right frame of mind.  It worked!

I packed my cooler bag with healthy choices in case there wasn't anything I could eat on the menu.  Amazingly enough both Cracker Barrel and Ihop had items on their menu that I could customize to what I needed.  Not organic and not optimal choices, but decent choices.

Back to the adventure.......the ladies we met for lunch were old friends of Dad and Nancy's while living in Cradock.  Listening to their stories were interesting and funny.  I guess I started the laughter by accidentally taking Nannie into the men's restroom.  Once I realized what I had done, I couldn't stop laughing long enough to tell her we were in the wrong bathroom.  I shuffled her out and then told her once we were outside.  Then I'd laughed myself into needing to go myself.  Nannie said, "You should have to go in there too!" She couldn't wait to tell everyone at the table.

We had a tour guide for the afternoon and thank goodness we did because this road connects to that road and loops back around to another road.  In the process, we saw Nan & Pap's old house, the old elementary school, the demise of Cradock High School.  What a shame because there was so much character.  Even the football field was still lined so I had to get out and take some pictures.  One of the football benches was still there and the old concession stand was still standing too. 

I had to do it........I stood on the sideline and did an Aunt Naincy cheer - arms waiving in sync with the perfect cheer....the Cradock way!  Go Team!

We were also privileged to spend time with family.  Another Bailey family and they love to laugh as much as we do.......and we did plenty!  Someone told me recently I am just like my Dad, and I'll take that compliment any day of the week.  Eddie...you are just like your Dad and that too is meant as a compliment.  I can only imagine you and my Dad together when you were younger and full of pranks!  Bonnie...It was all I could do to keep from nose diving into that homemade pound cake with strawberries and whipped cream!  

Our goal:  Give Nannie a weekend to remember!  SUCCESS because she hasn't stopped talking about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10 01 10