Thursday, August 22, 2013

Day Nine of the Whole30....Pass the Whine!

Day Nine....Pass the Whine!

Making the decision to do the Whole30 program was the best decision (Thanks Sunshine!).  You all know me and know that if something is not what it's cracked up to be, I'm going to tell you.

THIS, is what it's cracked up to be. 

I am living with Sarcoidosis (Dad had Sarcoid, but he was a fire-fighter and used to eat smoke for a living!)  Why do I have it....nobody really knows.

It is dormant and I really don't have any acute symptoms...BUT....along with the extra pounds I'm carrying around and the little nodules that have taken up residency in my lungs, my lung expansion is less.

Walking up a flight of stairs was becoming difficult.  Carrying groceries into the house made me short of breath at times.  And...we haven't even talked about my knee!

I was geared up and ready to kick butt last year.  I was going to do this the right way by exercising regularly and my incentive was a trip to California. I bought my ticket and joined a boot camp class.  I loved it! 

The first day I thought I was going to die.  After I managed to drag my out of shape self to the car, I realized I still had to drive. I prayed for green lights the whole way because if I had to stop, my legs might just dissolve. On about the 3rd class I torn the meniscus in my knee, but didn't know it until weeks later.  I just knew it hurt.  And, you can see this is not developing into a winning combination.  Sarcoidosis, knee surgery and being overweight brought me face to face with a hard-headed woman that's stubborn as a mule.....Me!

I wanted to do something nutritionally healthy and something that wasn't going to break the bank.  There are a lot of successful programs out there and I'm not speaking negative about them at all.  But, what I will speak of is affordability.  Obesity is a problem in our country, but if people cannot afford the gym memberships, special diet programs and personal trainers, where does that leave us?

It left me being mad at myself because I kept failing.  I knew I needed to make drastic changes and unless I did, I was headed down the same path my Dad took.  I'm not 20 anymore and living life on the softball field.  Get it together girl!  Enter Whole30...

Since starting 9 days ago, I've had times when I've really been hungry and I've missed having a Diet Coke or....spaghetti!  But what I DON'T miss is the bloating, shortness of breath, knee pain or sleepless nights.  I feel great and really don't have anything in the world to whine about!

Thank you Whole30 - now let's get 'r done!

No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10 01 10