Sunday, December 1, 2013

7-Up Biscuits - New Ward Family Tradition

Happy Thanksgiving!  I hope everyone was surrounded by love and laughter during this special time of year! 

I don't quite know what I was thinking by offering to have Thanksgiving in our new home (just moved in right before Halloween), but I did and it was great.  The fellowship with family was priceless and the food was quite delish too. 

Mom cooked the turkey and brought her cranberry/pomegranate jello salad - Yum!  Joyce made a crock pot full of mashed 'taters, deviled eggs, corn pudding and a pumpkin pie.  Debbie made a pecan pie that was outta this world....and the rest of the menu consisted of ham (said like Griffin Clark!), sweet potato casserole, coconut pie, stuffing (doctored up Dad style!) and....7-Up Biscuits!  Oh my...those biscuits!

That was the last item to come out of the stove because they are so so yummy warm.  They really do melt in your mouth.

Rewind a few nights....We are walking through Walmart and my husband, Stephen says...."You know, Andrew didn't get any of those biscuits on Thanksgiving.  Do you have everything you'll need to make him some?" I'm thinking that was his way of making sure I made more.

Needless to say, Andrew was a happy camper this morning when breakfast included those biscuits and after consuming THREE...stood from the table, let out a belch that was easily scored a '10' and said...."It must be the 7-Up in those biscuits.  Breakfast was really good Mom - Thanks!"

It's been a little while since I've blogged and I'll blame it on the move and just being busy.  I thought this morning, I'd kick off again with the recipe for the 7-Up biscuits - pictures and all! (As far as credits for the creator of this recipe...I have no idea!  I do know that you can google it or search for it on Pinterest and a gazillion versions will come up.  For all gazillion - I give you credit but this is my version) 



Grammie Ward's 7-Up Bisquick Biscuits

Ingredients:

  • 4 cups Bisquick (plus extra when kneading dough)
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup 7-Up
  • 1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
  • Optional:  Parchment or wax paper for easy clean up
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In microwave, melt a stick of butter and pour it into a 9x13 casserole dish.  I prefer glass or my Pampered Chef casserole dish.

In a large mixing bowl, add Bisquick, sour cream and 7-Up.  Mix well.
Your dough will be sticky, no worries.  Just add a little more Bisquick and knead it until you can lift all the dough and place it on the parchment/wax paper.  **Sprinkle a little more Bisquick on the paper before placing the dough on it.



Handy dandy biscuit cutter - Love it!
Knead and fold dough until it's no longer sticky - adding Bisquick as needed.  (I think I probably added at least a cup overall, but just a little at a time).
Pat out dough until it's about 1/2-3/4" thick.  Using a round biscuit cutter or glass, cut out your biscuits and place them in the casserole dish (make sure you've already added the melted butter BEFORE placing the biscuits in the dish).

Everything is better with butter!

Cut out as many biscuits as you can and then knead/fold the dough again and repeat the process of patting it down and keep cutting out biscuits until the pan is full.  It's OK to squish them in a little.

Place the pan in the oven and set the timer for 12 minutes.  They will probably need to cook the whole 15 minutes, but you don't want them to burn.


Wish this were scratch-n-sniff?
Whether you cook them for breakfast, lunch or dinner...they are delicious!  I will add though, they are better when warm and fresh vs the next day.  Don't get me wrong, Stephen didn't object to having ham biscuits for his lunch the next day, but they are better right out of the oven.

Have fun and enjoy!

Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10 01 10