Saturday, December 21, 2013

Countdown to Mistletoe.....Days 20 & 21....Crafty Corner

As if I have EXTRA time to start a new project!  I not only made one, but two!  Reason being I wanted one for myself too!

I'll call this Pretty Paper Tree Garland.....
End to end....25 Christmas trees!
Supplies:
  • Old sheet music (or paper of your choice....recycled Christmas cards would be cool too!)
  • Glue stick
  • Scissors
  • Scrapbook paper scraps (for trunk of the tree)
  • Metal grommets
  • yarn and small crochet hook
Let's rock and roll....

I bought several old books of sheet music last year when I made another version of mini Christmas trees (compliments to Laura in Laguna!) and of course saved them for a rainy day.

It's not raining today, but they sure came in handy!
I used the lid from a Cool-Whip container to make my circles.  With this size circle, the trees are about 3 inches tall.

Cut out the circle inside the line, so the lines don't show on your finished Christmas tree.

Fold the circle in half and cut the circle in two equal pieces.  Yep, you'll get TWO trees out of one circle!

With the straight edge to the left, fold the circle to the left.  It took me a few tries to find exactly how to fold it to get the perfect tree.  I eyeballed the bottom and it was a little more than 3 fingers wide.

Fold the top of the circle back to the right and make sure you keep the point of the tree at the top.  And this helps you know where to make your crease too.

Again, making sure to keep the point of the tree, fold the remaining circle back to the left and your folding is finished.
It took me a few tries to find out what worked best to create the perfect tree.  I recommend making a template and fold it a couple of times to get in the groove.  From there it will be a piece of cake.

I didn't glue down the entire piece.  However I did run the glue stick under each section and it provided a little stability too. 

I found this lovely piece of paper in my scraps and used it as the 'trunk'.  I cut strips about 1 inch wide and then cut each strip about 3 inches long.  Applied just one swipe of the glue stick and folded the paper in half. 

Apply the 'trunk' to the back of the tree (folded edge down),

Back view.  I don't have a picture of it, but I decided I didn't like the unfinished look of the back, so I put some snowflake stickers at the top of the paper and that was the perfect finishing piece. (Stickers were purchased at The Dollar Tree)

Of course, you don't have to use these little grommets, but because the trees are paper, I do recommend it.  Otherwise, you take the chance of the top tearing once you feed the string in.

I decided to crochet a single chain as the string of my garland.  So simple.  I fed each tree onto the yarn (two strands: 1  white fun fur and 1 of a light-weight twine) and made a slip knot at the end and started the a simple chain stitch. 
Crochet 40 stitches and feed the first tree all the way up to meet with your chain stitches.  Continue crocheting, but make the next chain a little looser.  That stitch is the first of 10 more chains and repeat by sliding up the next tree - 10 more chains and so on.  Once all the trees are crocheted on, finish off the garland with 40 chain stitches to match the opposite side.

I like the extra stability the crocheted chain gives the garland and can't wait to hang it! 
Merry Christmas to me......and another secret someone will get the other one!
If I had the time (THAT is the funniest thing I've heard all day!) I'd make more and try different versions of paper.  But, because there is still shopping to do, baking to finish and lots to wrap....This might have to be a New Year project!

Happy Crafting and send me pictures if you make one of your own!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10 01 10