Saturday, February 1, 2014

Good vs Evil....It's a food thing!


Well, if there is a diet out there....I've tried it! (Bet you've heard that before!)  And if I'd kept off all the weight I've lost over the years, I'd most definitely be the Biggest Loser!  But...that hasn't happened.   

What I have learned is .....Eating healthy doesn't have to be boring AND I feel 200% better when I'm not only eating healthy, but eating clean too!  I used to have to take a diuretic every day to help with the edema in my ankles and lower legs.  I haven't taken one since August of last year. 

I think the biggest difference is eliminating sugar, artificial sweeteners, caffeine (that's a hard one!) and white flour.  I haven't had a diet coke in ages and to be honest, my Soda Stream has been a huge help to fill that void. 

The other difference is with this change in eating habits, I don't deprive myself.  If I want a piece of pumpkin cheesecake (Mercy!  That was some kinda good!), I'll eat it.  I just know that if I have a piece for breakfast, lunch and dinner, the pain will gradually creep back in.

So....the whole purpose of my blog today is to include two recipes.  Good vs Evil.

Good:  Paleo Bread
Evil:  Biscuits & Gravy Casserole

Cindy mentioned the B&G Casserole in a Facebook post and I knew right away the boys would be in Heaven if I fixed it for them!  And if I'm being 100% honest....I wanted to try it too.  Love me some biscuits and gravy...the more sausage the better! 

I started thinking ...I can cook this and enjoy some too.  My way of thinking is completely different and I know me better than anyone.....If I don't 'cheat' every now and then....I'll kill something else in much greater quantity down the road! 

I'll start with the Cheater! Cheater!  Biscuit Eater! Recipe....(credit given to Just A Pinch Recipes and Cindy Wilder Clark for sharing!)
Obviously, some of the ingredients are not in this picture

BISCUITS AND GRAVY CASSEROLE

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. sausage
  • 1 (1.5 oz) package pork, gravy mix (I used Country Sausage Gravy Mix)
  • 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (I used a little more)
  • 6 eggs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 (8 oz) can biscuits
Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray 9x13 pan and spray it with Pam or whatever you like to use.  Cut each biscuit in quarters (1" pieces) and line bottom of pan.
2.  Cook sausage (drain) and scatter over biscuits.
3.  Sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
4.  Whisk eggs and milk with a pinch of salt & pepper and pour it over the ingredients in the pan.
5. Make gravy according to package directions and once thickened pour over ingredients in pan.
6.  Bake in oven for about 30-45 minutes.

Don't even worry about a napkin because this is lick your fingers and lick the plate good!

Today, it's back to business and I was going to make the Paleo Pancakes, but didn't have the recommended shortening.  So, plan B is the Paleo Bread.

Now, this is not like slicing off a piece of homemade bread by any means.  However, a warm slice with a slather of almond butter was quite delish!
And, it works great with both sweet or savory toppings.

Love this cookbook!
Here we go....(Recipe credit here going to Elana Amsterdam's cookbook....Paleo Cooking from Elana's Pantry (Great Christmas gift from Kathy!)



Ingredients:

  • 2 cups blanched almond flour
  • 1/4 cup golden flax meal
  • 2 Tbsp coconut flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 5 large eggs
  • 1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted over very low heat
  • 1 Tbsp honey
  • 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2.  Grease a 7x3 inch loaf pan with coconut oil (I used the coconut oil spray and it worked fine)
3.  In a food processor (or by hand), combine almond flour, flax meal, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt. 
4.  Add the eggs, coconut oil, honey and vinegar and continue mixing until thoroughly combined.
5.  Scoop the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 35-40 minutes until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
6.  Let the bread cool in the pan for about an hour - then serve.


I know what you are thinking....the ingredients just don't match up and they aren't supposed to.  The first recipe (as wonderful as it was) is full of processed foods and that's what does a number on my body. 

Here's something you might find interesting and I'll end on this note:  Most of you know we moved into our new home around the end of October.  During one of the many trips back to the old house, I found half a loaf of bread sitting on the counter.  I almost threw it away, but took note that this bread was purchased mid-October and here it was the end of November and this bread is NOT moldy.  No mold whatsoever.  So, I decided to do my own experiment.....it is still there and I'm here to tell you....the bread is still mold-free!  Not that I would eat it now, but these are preservatives that I'd rather not consume.  At this point, I'm not even sure I want to save it for my next ride on the ferry....poor seagulls!

No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10 01 10