Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Happy Birthday to Me!

In preparation for my trip to Maryland to see long time high school friend, Tommy Nelson....I trimmed my fingernails.  Weird.  But not so weird if you are picking up a banjo.  And....want to start playing it.
Well, I quickly learned you don't have to trim your nails, you have to CUT your nails on the left hand and wear these Edward Scissorhands looking contraptions on your right.  No worries.....it's sexy! That's what Minnie Pearl said anyway! So the sounds I was 'trying' to make didn't sound even worse, off went the nails. 
Tommy gave me strict instructions that I had to pick it up and play it every day...and I have!  I'm no Earl Scruggs, that's for sure.  But, I've played it every day.  I wish I'd done a video the very first time I did it.  I waited until Stephen was off doing something so nobody would hear me.  I played for about 5 minutes and then my arm started hurting, it was difficult to hold, and I told myself just how long this journey would be and had a good laugh!
With a little help from YouTube and my banjo pickn' friend Tommy, I've learned a few things and I'm getting there. I've always wanted to do this and just never have (no excuses) and now I am - Happy Birthday to me!  I'm trying to start lessons but finding someone with time that will accomodate my schedule, has been the challenge.  I'm determined - so it WILL happen!
Hee Hee Hee - Haw Haw Haw - Ya'll come back now - ya here?


No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10 01 10